Monday 21 May 2012

Visual Journaling

About a year ago I went to a conference hosted by ANZATA (the Australia and New Zealand Arts Therapy Association) just to see what it was all about. We took part in all sorts of things from learning how the therapy is implemented in special needs schools, Indigenous communities and from a personal and therapeutic perspective.


One of the most interesting things I learnt was visual journaling. Until today, I had never really attempted to do a visual journal or even a page since the conference. I am not sure why. Time maybe? However, today I felt like a just needed to do it. So I did. I found that for an hour, I just sat and thought about my day and what I had done. I thought about the different things I had learnt (I like to learn new things everyday - be it about myself, Blake or just the world around me) and I just reflected. It was a very calming and relaxing process and I now feel ready to tackle the crazy week ahead.


So I thought I would share my very first page with you today (its nothing special, just what sort of came out). I am going to try and do a page every few days to keep my creative juices flowing and also just reflect on the days past.


For some videos on how to get started, have a look at Teesha Moore or head over to Daisy Yellow to get the 101 on Art Journaling






For some inspiration, go have a look at visual artist Amber Gibbs.  It looks a little like this. Pretty amazing stuff. Maybe one day I can be this cool :)



2 comments:

  1. oh wow! I did this for 2 years straight for tafe it was great! We had to do one piece of art in our journal a day. In the end it became ritual even it was jsut a 2 second sketch on the train

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I am going to try and commit to doing something every few days. I just couldn't believe how relaxing and peaceful it was. That's so cool you did it for TAFE. You have to have a look at Teesha Moore's website - it is AMAZING! xx

    ReplyDelete