Saturday 10 November 2012

Picasso to Warhol

Aside from my trip in 2009 to Muse d'Orse in Paris whilst on Contiki, this is my second most exciting art experience to date. At Muse d'Orse I got to experience one of my favourite artisits - Van Gough. Oh Starry Nights. It was amazing, overwhelming and just totally awesome. So the other day when my friend Alyssa invited me to go and see the current exhibit at the Perth Gallery and I found out another favourite of mine was going to be showed (Picasso), I squealed and was there. So was Ruth and two other friends of Alyssa.

 Alyssa, Ruth & I

The exhibit, entitled Picasso to Warhol featured 14 of the modern art masters including, Pablo Picasso (obviously), Henri Matisse, Piet Mondrian, Constantin Brancusi, Fernand Leger, Marcel Duchamp, Giorgio de Chirico, Joan Miro, Alexander Calder, Jackson Pollock, Louise Bourgeois, Romare Bearden, Jasper Johns and finally Andy Warhol (again, obviously). I came out of the exhibition falling in love with some new artists and renewing my love for my old favourites. 

 Self Portrait [Picasso]

One of my favourites was Picasso's self-portrait he did when he was about 20 years of age. I love the fact that it appears to heavily influenced by Paul Cezanne, particularly in comparison to his later, 'cubism' paintings. Cezanne is another one of my favourites. I thought it was awesome that we all had our favourite artisit's.

 Ruth & The Song of Love [Giorgio de Chirico]

Ruth, Alyssa & There were seven in eight [Jackson Pollock]

Me & Painter and Model [Picasso]

It was an amazing experience. One of the girls commented that it was quite eery to think that once upon a time (and realistically not that long ago), these paintings were painted by the world's most famous artists. Eery, but amazing. They look like they were painted yesterday and it felt incredible to be surrounded by them. Totally worth going to check out. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good shot of any of Andy Warhol's paintings. There was a group of performing arts students in the Warhol section when we went through there and so the only shots I have, have people dressed in black in the way. 

If you want to go check out the exhibition out for yourself, it is showing at the Art Gallery of Western Australia until December 3.

 Enjoy the rest of your Saturday! 

Lindsay xx
  
P.S On our way home, Alyssa decided she wanted to pick some of the herbs from the communal gardens just next to the gallery. She looked like she was up to no good - as illustrated by the below pictures. It was a real laugh!!



No comments:

Post a Comment