Monday 27 February 2012

oh buttons.


Alright, so if you ask my mother, she will tell you that from a young age I LOVED collecting things. Gosh, I had a collection of badges I had received on birthday cards/gotten for free from companies at expo's which I still have today. Bit lame I know but I was a kid and I was sort of a dork to say the least. ANYWAY, in recent years (since moving out of home mainly) my collecting love has kind of switched and now I collect all sorts of things from cook books to tea cups and of course BUTTONS!


I have no idea why I love buttons so much. Maybe because we always seem to lose the ones that come spare with our cardi's or shirts, or maybe it is just that they are so darn cute and COLOURFUL. So I thought, as my final note of procrastination for the evening I would post a picture of my button collection (don't you just love all the colours!!!) and give you a quick history on the sometimes taken for granted (until your work pants are held together with a busted zip and safety pin!) necessary clothing fixture. If you are feeling button inspired let me know if you have a favourite button/button collection.


(According to Wikipedia)


"Buttons and button-like objects used as ornaments or seals rather than fasteners have been discovered in the Indus Valley Civilizationduring its Kot Diji phase (circa 2800-2600 BCE) as well as Bronze Age sites in China (circa 2000-1500 BCE), and Ancient Rome.


Buttons made from seashell were used in the Indus Valley Civilization for ornamental purposes by 2000 BCE. Some buttons were carved into geometric shapes and had holes pierced into them so that they could be attached to clothing with thread. Ian McNeil (1990) holds that: "The button, in fact, was originally used more as an ornament than as a fastening, the earliest known being found at Mohenjo-daro in the Indus Valley. It is made of a curved shell and about 5000 years old."


Functional buttons with buttonholes for fastening or closing clothes appeared first in Germany in the 13th century. They soon became widespread with the rise of snug-fitting garments in 13th- and 14th-century Europe."


Anyway, that is enough button talk and procrastination for now. Night all xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment